Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Introduction (Nathanael Gass)


Hello, my name is Nathanael Gass. I am 15 and have been photographing for 3 years. I am home schooled and have been my entire life. I am primarily interested in macro photography and wildlife photography.

I don’t go to exotic places to take my photographs. None of my photographs have been taken outside of America, and nearly none have been taken outside of my home state, North Carolina. I go to Pennsylvania once or twice a year but that’s the farthest I travel. It is rare for me to ride more than 20 min. to a place I’ll be photographing, and I take most of my images in my backyard.

I’m going to tell you how to attract wildlife to your yard and how to take many different (and hopefully great) photos there. I’m also going to tell you about some close-to-home areas where I photograph.

Here's a photo I took at one of my favorite photo locations- the Eno River. I found this northern water snake eating a catfish it caught. I got into the water and started photographing at different angles, being careful to keep my camera dry.

I used a Nikon D-80 with180mm macro lens and tripod. The settings were ISO 320, f/14, 1/200th of a second. It was taken about 5 miles from my house.
Stay tuned for future posts.

3 comments:

Alex Mody said...

Cool stuff. Welcome to the blog. You've captured quite an interesting moment here. Can't wait to see more!

Johan said...

Nice to meet you. Macro is my favorite, too. That is a nice photo. Is the snake eating a frog?

Johan said...

Sorry I didn't notice you said it was a catfish. I was busy looking at the picture. :-)
Johan